SpedDial 2nd gen. BLACK hinge clamps kit for Brompton
The SpedDial "fast and no more fiddly" hinge clamp kit for Brompton has been improved on several spots! This 2nd generation will only be available in black, the clamps have rounded off edges and some other nice improvements. The clamp plates are lubricated and protected by a PTFE impregnation of the anodised finish and the deeper ridge on the clamp plate is grooved to avoid hitting the ridge along the chamfer. The clamps are a bit shorter than the first generation which had the length of the original Brompton clamps. This is done to better suit the width of the hinges giving a nicer look without any compromises performance wise.
The SpedDial kit features:
- CNC machined black anodised hinge clamp plates with rounded off edges for a nice look and feel.
- One side of the clamp plate is longer so that it remains centered at all time.
- An end stop in the form of a locknut on a longer bolt prevents the clamping plate from being loosened too far
- A spring ensures that the clamping plate loosens and opens by itself during loosening
- The spring is in a safer place than usual (with comparable solutions), it's protected by the clamp plate and a brass bushing to prevent the spring from getting stuck and damaged.
- Finally, and that's where the name SpedDial comes from (pronounce Speed Dial), the lever has a dimple that comfortably fits one of your fingers so you can turn much faster than you normally can.
A bunch of small adjustments that have little effect on the simplicity of the original Brompton clamps and at the same time make a big difference in user experience and aesthetics.
Material: plastic injection moulded lever, CNC machined and black anodised aluminum clamp, zinc plated steel bolts and springs, brass retainer
Clamp color: black
The kit contains: two sets of clamps for one Brompton bike
extra info: The strength of the original Brompton hinge clamp is it's simplicity. Always the right clamping force (at least if you don't forget to tighten them 😉 and requires hardly any attention, at most some grease on certain spots. Just a few parts and therefore not much that can go wrong.
The down side of these clamps is that after loosening the wing nut the aluminum clamp plate can rotate. This means that when tightening the wing nut, the clamping plate must be manually aligned with the hinge. The clamp can also get stuck between the hinge plates during closing. And rotation is not limited by an end stop. If the clamping plate starts to turn, you can stop loosening, but often you are already a few rotations too far. So a it's bit fiddly and just loss of time when you're in a hurry ...the SpedDial kit addresses these issues.